Benzoyl peroxide is a common treatment for mild Acne. It works by reducing the number of bacteria and yeasts on the skin. It also possesses anti-inflammatory action. It can be purchased without a prescription.
Benzoyl peroxide has three properties: An antiseptic to reduces the number of skin surface bacteria and yeast; an Oxidizing agent, which reduces the number of comedones, and anti-inflammatory action.
Benzoyl peroxide is available as cream, gel, lotion and wash and can be bought in several concentrations, although lower concentrations (2 percent or 2.5 percent) have proven to be just as effective as higher concentrations (5 or 10 percent). It can be used once or twice daily, and should be applied as indicated in the directions. Do not allow medication to get into your eyes, mouth, and nose.It may take several weeks to see results.
Side effects are generally mild and include dryness of skin, peeling, tingling, and slight stinging. Severe skin irritation is rare, but if you experience redness, blisters, itching, burning, or a rash, discontinue the product and notify your physician.
Notes of Precaution
* Notify your doctor if you're allergic to Benzoyl peroxide or other medications.
* If you are pregnant or plan on being pregnant, consult your doctor before use.
* Benzoyl peroxide should be stored at room temperature.
* Keep Benzoyl peroxide away from hair and colored fabrics, as it will cause bleaching.
* Do not use Benzoyl peroxide is you are under 12 years old without first consulting a doctor.