* While its main use is to prevent the rejection of transplanted organs, Cyclosporin is also used to treat severe psoriasis and other autoimmune skin conditions.
Cyclosporin (also spelled Ciclosporin) is used to treat severe psoriasis that has not improved with the usual treatment. It is also used for psoriatic arthritis, severe atopic dermatitis and other autoimmune skin conditions. It works by lessening inflammation in the skin. It's generally taken by those with severe skin disease for a several months and up to several years.
It has also been used to treat Pyoderma gangrenosum Dyshidrotic eczema, Chronic urticaria, Behcet disease, Pityriasis rubra pilaris, Dermatomyositis, Pemphigus vulgaris, Epidermolysis bullosa acquisita, Lichen planus
Hidradenitis suppurativa, Prurigo nodularis and Systemic sclerosis.
Cyclosporine comes in liquid or pill form. It is taken by mouth. The dose varies from between 2 to 5 mg per day, and should be taken with water twice a day after meals. Once unwrapped, the capsule will lose its effectiveness after a week, although it's good for up to three years if left in the foil wrapper.
The dosage given for psoriasis or other skin conditions generally does not cause much problem, though side effects may include nausea, elevated blood pressure, oily skin, hair growth, swollen or bleeding gums, skin tingling, and/or tremors. If you take it for an extended period of time, it can affect the kidneys; kidney function should be tested periodically.
Notes of Precaution
* Cyclosporin increases the risk for infection.
* Don't submit to any vaccinations while on Cyclosporin.
* Notify your doctor if you are on any other medications, as Cyclosporin interacts badly with a variety of medications, including Antibiotics, Anti-epileptics, St. John's Wart, Antifungals, and Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
* You should not take Cyclosporin if you have a history of cancer, active infections, a drug or alcohol dependency, active infections, abnormal kidney function, high blood pressure, or if you are or plan to be pregnant.