* Used to treat psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, rhuematoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and Crohn's Disease.
Adalimumab (brand name: Humira) is a fully human recombinant antibody to tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF) utilized in the treatment of autoimmune disorders, including psoriasis of the skin or joints. It works by directly binding to TNF molecules in the blood and tissue, moderating inflammation that would have resulted from unbound TNF.Studies have indicated that up to 70 percent of patients who use adalimumab may experience 75 percent reduction of the skin plaques of psoriasis within four months, while 10 to 15 percent may clear completely. Although its success rate is high, like all other treatments for chronic disorders, adalimumab does not cure the condition but only controls or suppresses the disease, and must be used on a long-term basis.
Adalimumab is administered by subcutaneous injection every two weeks. It is available as a pre-filled syringe or an auto-injector pen. Patients, after counseling, can usually self-inject at home into the thigh or abdomen, rotating injection sites to reduce potential soreness.
Adalimumab functions by suppressing an immune response
Notes of Precaution
* Adalimumab should be kept refrigerated and warmed to room temperature 15 minutes before injection
*Advise your doctor if you have ever been treated for tuberculosis
* If you are pregnant or plan to be pregnant
* Patients with congestive heart failure or multiple sclerosis should use caution while taking adalimumab.
* Consult with your doctor prior to taking any immunizations