*Methotrexate is a popular medication for treating psoriasis and other serious skin conditions.
Methotrexate (formerly known as Amethopterin) is used to treat severe psoriasis that cannot be controlled by other treatments. It can be used to treat atopic dermatitis and some other serious or extensive skin conditions. It is also used to treat some forms of arthritis, especially rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis. In much higher doses, it can be used as a chemotherapy agent for the treatment of certain cancers.
Methotrexate treats psoriasis by slowing the growth of skin cells to stop scales from forming and treats rheumatoid arthritis by decreasing the activity of the immune system. When used with TNF blockers, it has been shown to markedly improve symptoms.
Methotrexate is taken as a capsule by mouth. It is taken weekly. Ask your doctor for exact dosing instructions. If it is taken daily instead of weekly, serious side effects or death may occur.
Methotrexate can cause side effects, which may include dizziness, drowsiness, headache, swollen, tender gums, decreased appetite, reddened eyes, or hair loss. If any of these symptoms are severe or persist, notify your doctor. In more serious cases, these side effects may occur: blurred vision or sudden loss of vision, seizures, confusion, weakness or difficulty moving one or both sides of the body, loss of consciousness. If you experience any of these side effects, let you doctor know immediately.
Notes of Precaution
* Avoid alcohol while you are taking Methotrexate as it may exacerbate side effects.
* Notify your doctor if you are allergic to methotrexate or any other medications.
* If you are pregnant or plan to be pregnant, notify your doctor. Do not breastfeed while you are taking methotrexate.
* Avoid unnecessary or prolonged exposure to sunlight or ultraviolet light (tanning beds and sunlamps) and to wear protective clothing, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Methotrexate may make your skin sensitive to sunlight or ultraviolet light.
* Do not have any vaccinations while you are taking Methotrexate.
* Store Methotrexate at room temperature and keep it out of the reach of children.