* Metronidazole is used for the treatment of chronic adult acne.
Metronidazole (Trade Name: Rozex and MetroGel) is a topical antibiotic that is used in the treatment of adult acne (acne rosacea), a chronic condition in which the facial skin is inflamed and sores develop. Metronidazole may decrease the number of sores, but it is not a cure. It can also be used to treat certain vaginal infections.
Metronidazole comes as a cream, lotion, or gel to be applied to your skin and as a gel to be used in the vagina. If you are using it to treat acne, your symptoms may improve after three weeks and continue for up to six weeks or longer. Do not discontinue use until advised to do so by your doctor. Average treatment time is three to four months.
For acne, you should wash your face with soap and water and apply Metronidazole 20 minutes afterwards. Apply in a thin layer and gently rub it in. It should be applied twice daily.
For vaginal infections, it should be applied twice daily for five days. For vaginal infections, Metronidazole comes with a special applicator, and should be applied before bed. It's most effective if you do not get up after application except to wash your hands and the applicator. Do not use a tampon while you are using Metronidazole.
Side effects are rare and usually mild. Notify your doctor if any of these side effects persist or become severe: increased skin redness, dryness, burning, irritation, or stinging. If you experience fever, stomach pain, or a foul smelling vaginal discharge while taking Metronidazole, notify your doctor immediately.
Notes of Precaution
* Notify your doctor if you are allergic to Metronidazole or any other medications.
* Notify your doctor if you have or have ever had a central nervous system disease, liver or blood disease, or Crohn's disease.
* Do not use in or close to the eyes.
* Do not use Metronidazole while you are pregnant as it may cause birth defects. Notify your doctor if you are breastfeeding.
* Avoid unnecessary or prolonged exposure to sunlight and to wear protective clothing, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Metronidazole may make your skin sensitive to sunlight.
* Store Metronidazole at room temperature and keep it out of the reach of children.