* Mupirocin is an antibiotic used to treat skin conditions caused by bacteria.
Mupirocin (Trade Names: Bactroban, Centany) is an antibiotic used to treat impetigo as well as other skin infections caused by bacteria, such as furuncle (boils), folliculitis, ecthyma, eczema, psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, epidermolysis bullosa, and ichthyosis. It's also used to treat infections in open wounds.
Mupirocin is an ointment that is applied to the skin. It's typically applied three times a day for up to two weeks. Wash the affected area before applying the ointment.
Side effects are generally mild. You may experience burning, stinging, pain, itching, or rash. Notify your doctor if any of these side effects are severe or persist.
Notes of Precaution
* Keep Mupirocin out of your eyes. It is for external use only.
* Do not apply Mupirocin to burns.
* Mupirocin is not effective against fungal or viral infections.
* Notify your doctor if you are allergic to Mupirocin or other medications.
* If you have kidney problems, Mupirocin should be used with caution.
* Store Mupirocin at room temperature and keep it out of the reach of children.