WHY WASHING YOUR FACE EVERYDAY IS IMPORTANT:
Daily cleansing is essential to keep your skin looking radiant and healthy. Throughout the day the skin on your face is continually covered with bacteria, pollutants, viruses, dirt, old (dead) skin cells and excess oils (which cause acne). Daily facial washing removes these impurities to give the skin a fresh look. Cleansing helps your facial anti-aging and acne treatments work properly and helps maintain proper pore size.
STEP TO WASHING YOUR FACE, NECK, AND DÉCOLLETAGE:
- Wash your hands.
- Pull your hair back and wet your skin with warm water.
- Apply a cleanser, that works best for your skin type, with your finger tips. Using a washcloth or mesh sponge can irritate your skin. If you must use a wash cloth make sure it is clean, never reuse. Most fabrics hold in bacteria which will cause irritation, breakouts, and even infection. Try using a mirco fiber or an alternative option like Spa Sister gentle cruelty-free Chamois Facial cloth.
- Gently exfoliate your skin twice a week. Do not over exfoliate.
- Rinse and pat it dry with a clean towel.
- Apply toner for a smooth appearance.
- Apply moisturizer to face and neck.
- Apply a sunscreen with UVA and UVB protection.
PROTECT YOUR SKIN FROM THE SUN:
- Use sunscreen daily. Use a generously apply sunscreen to all exposed skin. A broad-spectrum sunscreen with both UVA and UVB protection of at least SPF 30 is best.
- Wear protective clothing and sunglasses with UV protection.
- Seek shade when possible, especially from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.. If there is no shade around, create your own using an umbrella or by wear a wide-brimmed hat.
- Say farewell to tanning, both indoor and outdoor. Tanning can lead to wrinkles, age spots, and skin cancer. Get that golden glow by using self tanning products instead.
Sunscreen protects your skin from the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays (UVA and UVB). The number one cause of premature aging of the face is ultraviolet (UVA) exposure. By wearing sunscreen, you are slowing down the development of wrinkles and leathery skin. Sunscreen prevents facial age spots and skin discolorations, keeping your skin tone even. Using sunscreen daily, even when it is cloudy, raining, or if you are driving in your car, dramatically reduces your risk of developing skin cancer. This is especially true of the deadliest form of skin cancer, melanoma. Selecting a sunscreen is Important. Choose a sunscreen that can prevent sunburn, reduce your risk of getting skin cancer, and help prevent early signs of skin aging, and discoloration. We recommend purchasing sunscreen with the following ingredients; zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, and iron oxide for optimal protection from UVA, UVB and Visible light rays. We can help select the correct sunscreen for your skin.
During your self examination if you notice any new or suspicious spots on your skin, or any spots that are changing, itching or bleeding, make an appointment to see a board-certified dermatologist. Melanoma is the deadliest form of skin cancer. When detected early, it can be effectively treated. Become familiar with the ABCDEs of Melanoma.
- Asymmetry - One half is unlike the other half.
- Border - Irregular, scalloped or poorly defined border.
- Color - Varied from one area to another; has shades of tan, brown, or black; sometimes white, red, or blue.
- Diameter - While melanomas are usually greater than 6mm (the size of a pencil eraser) when diagnosed, they can be smaller.
- Evolving - A mole or sin lesion that looks different from the rest or is changing in size, shape or color.
STANFORD UNIVERS ITY STUDY FINDS EVIDENCE THAT BROADBAND LIGHT TREATMENT PROMOTES YOUTHFUL SKIN ON A MOLECULAR LEVEL
Gene expression of aged skin more closely resemble young skin with the use of Sciton BroadBand Light treatment PALO ALTO, Calif.- (November 12, 2012) - A new study recently published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology shows that Sciton BroadBand Light (BBL™) treatments can change the expression of genes associated with the aging process to more closely resemble young skin. The study supports the hypothesis that regulators of aging can be altered in human skin using BBL technology to provide a functional change, rather than just a cosmetic mimic of youthful appearance. BBL treatments promote the appearance of youthful skin. This study reveals that the appearance of younger skin may be due to the differences observed in gene expression patterns of aged skin becoming more like young skin.
Treatments from the study were performed on the FDA-cleared Sciton Joule using the BBL module. *Led by dermatologist Dr.Anne Lynn S.Chang of the Stanford University School of Medicine, the study ("Rejuvenation of Gene Expression Pattern of Aged Human Skin by BroadBand Light Treatment") reveals the molecular changes that are induced by BBL, a popular treatment made by Sciton for improving the appearance of acne, sun spots, freckles and vascular conditions. BBL treatments are requested by patients for promoting a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance. Previous studies have shown that animal models can exhibit gene expression changes to become more youthful. Dr.Chang's study is the first to show a similar correlation in human skin treated with BBL.
"As an industry, to find a clinically sound solution for human anti-aging is critical 'said Dr.Macrene Alexiades-Armenakas, board certified dermatologist, attending physician at Lenox Hill Hospital and Yale/New Haven VA Hospital, and Assistant Clinical Professor at Yale University School of Medicine. "As a practicing physician in the field of dermatology, it is exciting to know there is a safe, light based treatment with
groundbreaking clinical evidence supporting anti-aging and the reversal of skin damage available to our patients '
An additional study, submitted for publication by Dr.Patrick H. Bitter, Jr.of Advanced Aesthet ic Dermatology, a well-known dermatologist and co-author of the JID study, takes this groundbreaking research further and explores the practical application and patient results of BBL treatments. Dr.Sitter's study focuses on the ability to improve the appearance of aging skin with long-term and regular interval treatments with BBL.
"The JID study is an important first step to prove that BBL treatments are a viable option for anti-aging, " said Dr.Bitter. "In my upcoming study, we provide clinical evidence on patients who have had BBL and have enjoyed younger looking skin over the long-term. I look forward to sharing these demonstrated results with my colleagues and patients worldwide in the near future:'
"As the developer of the BBL technology, Sciton remains committed to investments not only in the equipment but in the science required to inform the development of meaningful applications for it. The BBL has an unsurpassed reputation for delivering clinically important results 'said Sciton co-founder and President, Dan Negus, Ph.D. "These basic science and clinical biomedical studies demonstrate another important validation for the dermatolog ic community of the sound scientific basis of the BBL technology and the results it produces:'
The study's additional authors are Dr.Howard Y.Chang and Nicole A.Rapicavoli, both of Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Stanford University, and Dr.Kun Qu and Dr.Meihong Lin, both of Stanford University. To read the fulltext of the study, please visit.
Sciton is committed to providing best-in-class laser and light source solutions for medical professionals who want exceptional durability, performance and value. Sciton offers superior medical devices for fractional and full-coverage skin resurfacing, superficial and deep skin peeling, hair removal, phototherapy, wrinkle reduction, laser-assisted lipolysis, treatment of vascular and pigmented lesions and varicose veins, nail fungus, scar reduction and acne treatment. For more information and a complete listing of Sciton systems, visit www.sciton.com.
About BroadBand Light (BBL) Treatment:
With its user-friendly features, superior results, and exceptional ROI, BBL™ is the most complete and versatile broadband light system in its class. Its broad range of
wavelengths allow targeted treatment for many skin conditions including acne, pigmented lesions, vascular lesions and hair removal. For more information, please visit www.ForeverYoungBBL .com.